- 2 cups (500 ml) peeled and cubed butternut squash (any produce vendor)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil, plus extra (Vancouver Olive Oil Co.)
- 1 large shallot, trimmed and finely chopped (any produce vendor)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish (Benton Brothers Fine Cheese)
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) white wine or water (Liberty Wine Merchants)
- 1 ball premade pizza dough (Duso’s Italian Foods)
- 1 cup (250 ml) torn kale leaves (any produce vendor)
- 5 strips double smoked bacon, cooked, cut into 1-inch pieces (Oyama Sausage Co.)
- 1/2 lb (227 g) bay scallops, rinsed and patted dry (Seafood City)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped chives (any produce vendor)
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste (The Grainry)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- On a rimmed baking sheet, toss together butternut squash, oil, and a good pinch of both salt and pepper. Roast in oven, stirring once or twice, until softened and starting to caramelize, about 25 to 30 minutes. Stir shallot into squash and continue to roast until shallots have softened, about 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer mixture to a food processor along with Parmesan cheese, and wine before combining until smooth.
- Press pizza dough into a 1/4-inch thickness round on an oiled pizza tray or baking sheet. Brush with some extra oil before baking until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Spread squash purée over prepared crust and top with kale and bacon. Bake pizza for 10 minutes. Arrange scallops over pizza and return to oven until scallops are cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Garnish warm pizza with chopped chives, some extra Parmesan cheese, and black pepper. Cut into slices and enjoy.