- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil, plus extra (Vancouver Olive Oil Company)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced (any produce vendor)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (any produce vendor)
- 5 vine-ripened tomatoes, quartered (any produce vendor)
- 5 medium carrots, trimmed and chopped (any produce vendor)
- 1 celery stalk, chopped (any produce vendor)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water or white wine (Liberty Wine Merchants)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) raw cashews (The Grainry)
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) salt, plus extra (The Grainry)
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) coriander seed (The Grainry)
- 1 lb (454 g) dried squid ink linguini (Zara’s Deli)
- Parmesan cheese or Pecorino cheese, for garnish (Benton Brothers Fine Cheese)
- In a large saucepan, warm oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté, stirring often, until translucent, about 4 minutes. Stir in garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add in tomatoes, carrots, and celery and cook until tomatoes start to soften and release their juices, about 5 minutes. Stir in water, cashews, salt, and coriander.
- Bring mixture to a boil, cover and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer mixture until carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a blender and purée until smooth and creamy. Pour back into saucepan and keep warm, stirring occasionally, over low heat.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta to desired doneness and drain. Toss with a little olive oil before dividing among serving bowls.
- Top servings of pasta with some tomato-carrot sauce and garnish with a grating of Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.