- 1/4 cup (60 ml) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) orange zest (any produce vendor)
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) ground cardamom (The Grainry)
- 2 whole star anise pods (The Grainry)
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped out (The Grainry)
- 1 1/4 lbs (567 g) rhubarb, cut into 2-inch pieces, about 4 cups (any produce vendor)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups (500 ml) chilled whipping cream (The Milkman)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large bowl whisk together sugar, orange zest, cardamom, star anise, and vanilla seeds. Add rhubarb and toss to coat in sugar mixture.
- Spread rhubarb on a rimmed baking sheet in a single layer and bake, until very tender, about 25 minutes. Transfer rhubarb and any of its juices to a bowl and refrigerate until chilled.
- Once rhubarb has chilled, discard star anise and blend rhubarb along with condensed milk and salt. Blend until well combined and smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl whip cream to firm peaks. Fold rhubarb mixture into whipped cream one cup at a time with a rubber spatula until combined.
- Pour into a 9x5-inch loaf pan, cover with plastic wrap and freeze until frozen, about 5 hours. Let sit at room temperature for about 5 to 10 minutes to soften slightly before scooping into serving dishes.