- 2 cups (500 ml) canola oil or grapeseed oil, for frying
- 1 cup (250 ml) julienned leeks, light green part only (any produce vendor)
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) hollandaise sauce (The Stock Market)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) finely chopped fresh chives (any produce vendor)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) finely chopped fresh tarragon (any produce vendor)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) finely chopped fresh parsley (any produce vendor)
- 2 sesame seed bagels, each cut in half lengthwise (Siegel’s Bagels)
- 5 ounces (140 g) Smoked Salmon Hot Bits (Seafood City)
- 6 ounces (175 g) Brie cheese, sliced (Benton Brothers Fine Cheese)
- White vinegar, for poaching eggs
- 4 large eggs (The Milkman)
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Working in batches, fry a small handful of julienned leeks at a time until golden and crispy, about 1 minute. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to drain. Season with a pinch of salt and set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together hollandaise sauce, chives, tarragon, and parsley until well combined. Heat over a double boiler and keep warm.
- Preheat oven broiler. Place bagels cut side up on a baking sheet and toast under broiler. Turn oven off.
- Top warm bagels with slices of Brie and smoked salmon before returning to oven to keep warm, while poaching eggs.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a bare simmer over medium heat. Meanwhile, crack each egg into a small bowl or cup. Once water is at a simmer, add a splash of white vinegar before stirring water around with a spoon to create a gentle whirlpool.
- Working with 2 eggs at a time, carefully tip each egg into centre of whirlpool, continuing to stir gently to encourage egg white to wrap around yolk. Cook undisturbed, until egg white is set and yolk is still very soft, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Repeat this process with remaining eggs.
*Tip: If you are cooking several poached eggs, keep the cooked ones warm and ready to serve in a bowl of warm water. Just take care that the water is not hot enough to overcook the eggs.
- To serve, place each bagel half on a plate before topping with a poached egg. Drizzle with some herbed hollandaise sauce and top with fried leeks.