- 2 lbs (900 g) whole spot prawns (Seafood City)
- 1/2 medium fennel bulb, thinly sliced (any produce vendor)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced (any produce vendor)
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced (any produce vendor)
- 1/2 Fresno chili, seeded and thinly sliced (South China Seas Trading Co.)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) fresh lemon juice (any produce vendor)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) white wine vinegar (South China Seas Trading Co.)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) extra virgin olive oil (Vancouver Olive Oil Company)
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) toasted coriander seed (The Grainry)
- 5 toasted black peppercorns (The Grainry)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fennel fronds or dill (any produce vendor)
- Toasted slices of country loaf, such as the Marquis (A Bread Affair)
- To cook spot prawns, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add prawns, remove saucepan from heat, cover and let sit for 2 to 3 minutes until the tails are opaque in the center. *Tip: Pickled prawns may be made up to 2 days in advance. Simply store in an airtight container in the refrigerator
- Drain prawns and rinse under cold running water to cool. Peel and devein, leaving tails attached, if desired.
- In a large bowl stir together peeled prawns, fennel, onion, garlic, chili, lemon juice, vinegar, oil, coriander seed, peppercorns, and fennel fronds. Set aside to marinate, stirring occasionally, for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve pickled prawns with buttered, toasted bread, if desired